So with that vision in mind, I set out on the path and process of inventing what became The BenchCoach. It took just under a year to produce a prototype, figure out what type of company could help me make it a real product, and then produce multiple production models that we tweaked several times. Finally, it was time to write the check and order a full container of BenchCoach units. The first container arrived in August of 2008 and I started showing up at games and tournaments to promote and sell The BenchCoach.
Initially, I wanted a home for every piece of equipment players used so nothing was left on the dugout ground. So the original BenchCoach design consisted of 18 compartments and two large shelves for catcher’s equipment and even a hook for the catcher’s mask. Once I got out to tournaments and games and got teams to use The BenchCoach, it became apparent that the unit didn’t need to be that big and catchers didn’t really store their equipment between innings, they mostly keep it on until they get in the on-deck circle.